The Student News Site of George Washington High School

The Patriot Glow

The Patriot Glow

The Patriot Glow

Pride Month

Pride+Month

Pride Month is a commemorative month, which takes place in June each year and in which special attention is paid to the emancipation, respect and acceptance of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Transsexuals, transvestites, queer, intersex or genderqueer and asexual or aromantic (LGBTQIA)

The term is becoming increasingly well-known in other countries, in part because, since 2012, the search engine has displayed an annually changing rainbow-colored decoration for LGBT-related research during LGBT Pride Month in June.

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) Pride Month is currently celebrated each year in the month of June to honor the 1969 Stonewall Uprising in Manhattan. The Stonewall uprising was a turning point for the Gay Liberation Movement in the United States. In the United States, the last Sunday in June was initially celebrated as “Gay Pride Day”, but the day itself was flexible. In major cities across the country, the “day” soon grew to encompass a month-long series of events. Today, celebrations include gay pride parades, picnics, parties, workshops, symposiums and concerts, and LGBTQ Pride Month events attract millions of participants around the world. During this month, tributes are made to those members of the community who have disappeared due to hate crimes or crimes in itself. The purpose of the memorial month is to recognize the impact that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people have had on history locally, nationally and internationally.

Colorful and stimulating parades with floats and celebrities, joyful festivals, workshops, picnics and parties are among the main components of LGBTQ Pride Month, also called Gay Pride, which is celebrated in June in the United States and other parts of the world. Pride Month commemorates years of fighting for civil rights and the continued pursuit of equal justice under the law for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community, as well as the achievements of LGBTQ people. But why is Pride Month celebrated in June?

The organized pursuit of LGBTQ rights in the United States dates back to at least 1924 and the founding of the Human Rights Society in Chicago by Henry Gerber. But the event that catalyzed the LGBTQ rights movement occurred in June 1969 in New York City’s Greenwich Village, at the Stonewall Inn. In the early morning hours of June 28, police raided this popular gathering place for young members of the LGBTQ community, arrested employees for selling liquor without a license, roughed up many of the patrons, and cleared the bar. Outside, the crowd watching bar patrons being herded into police vans grew angry. Previously, witnesses to police harassment of members of the LGBTQ community had remained passive, but this time the crowd booed police and threw coins and then bottles and debris at them, forcing police to barricade themselves in the bar next to them. waiting for reinforcements. Soon, about 400 people rioted. Although police reinforcements dispersed the crowd, riots waxed and waned outside the bar over the next five days, and these Stonewall Riots (also called the Stonewall Uprising) provided the spark that ignited the LGBTQ rights movement in the United States. .

History of LGBTQ+ Pride Month and why Pride Month is in June. (Lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender…

Although “gay power” had been proposed as the motto for the march, it was argued that the movement had not yet acquired political power, but that its members were very proud of their sexual identity. Thus, it was decided that the theme of the march would be “gay pride.” Sources differ as to the exact number of people who ultimately participated in the march (estimates ranged from 1,000 to 20,000), but no one disputes that at the beginning there were at most a few hundred protesters. However, by the time the march ended, 51 blocks north in Central Park’s Sheep Meadow, their numbers had increased dramatically, as people joined the procession along the way in solidarity, chanting slogans such as “Say it clear, say it loud. “Gay is good, gay is proud.”

The day before the pride march in New York City, about 150 people in Chicago capped a week-long event with the country’s first Stonewall commemoration march. On the day of the New York march, “the world’s first permitted gay rights parade” was held on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles, and a “Gay In” was held in San Diego’s Golden Gate Park. Francisco. From then on, Gay Pride or LGBTQ Pride generally came to be celebrated in the United States on the last Sunday in June (although there were many exceptions), as somber marches evolved into joyful celebrations. Over time, the day expanded into a month-long event. It was officially recognized by the United States government when President Bill Clinton declared June 1999 “Gay and Lesbian Pride Month,” President Barack Obama proclaimed June “LGBT Pride Month,” and President Joe Biden further expanded the celebration. . to “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ+) Pride Month.” In other parts of the world, Pride is celebrated at different times of the year, although many cities celebrate it in June….