The Student News Site of George Washington High School

The Patriot Glow

The Patriot Glow

The Patriot Glow

Current Events; Tik Tok Ban Bill

For this week’s current events, I will be talking about Biden signing the Tik Tok ban bill and how this can affect us all as generation z. The reason why Tik Tok is supposed to be banned is because the US officials and Courts are afraid that they are able to gain private information and use it to create some type of blackmail; this goes for all ages because pretty much everyone is on Tik Tok. A USA Today article states the previous concerns of all legislators who want it banned “In November 2022, FBI Director Christopher Wray told Congress that he was “extremely concerned” the Chinese government could weaponize the data collected through TikTok.”

Writer’s Commentary

My personal opinion is that they don’t want us using Tik Tok anymore because we gain information that we feel like is being hidden and either considered a secret. Also because they can’t control the media narrative or social media narrative. Personally it was an app that created memories for me. I grew up with musically and grew older as the app changed to Tik Tok and I’m sure many others of you have as well. So I disagree with the tiktok ban under all circumstances, they should take the things out that can cause our personal data to be leaked and take away all features that can cause any blackmail or unsafe situations for minors.